Psychological Warfare and PSYOP

Leaflet Archive

Random PSYOP leaflet - What is to be Done?

Recent Forum Posts

'Wanted for Incitement to Murder' - the Churchill leaflet

3 November 2017 at 3:44 pm

Re: Burma Front Leaflets

23 September 2017 at 6:27 pm

Re: IFBU in Burma 1945

2 September 2017 at 6:59 am

Re: IFBU in Burma 1945

31 August 2017 at 5:13 pm

IFBU in Burma 1945

31 August 2017 at 11:37 am

22 August 2017 at 8:31 am

Re: Bin Laden Dead

14 August 2017 at 10:38 am

Re: Falkland's war

24 July 2017 at 9:08 pm

16 July 2017 at 4:12 pm

Re: a profit de sinistres normand

4 July 2017 at 8:47 am

Airdrop over Friedrichshafen, Germany, 24 Sep 1939

20 NOVEMBER 2017 | ARTICLES
Share on Facebook
Tweet
Google +1
Linkedin
Email

Author Topic: Airdrop over Friedrichshafen, Germany, 24 Sep 1939  (Read 1069 times)

Offline bdelphan

Airdrop over Friedrichshafen, Germany, 24 Sep 1939
« on: October 08, 2016, 01:17:01 AM »
I am currently reading a history of Friedrichshafen, Germany, by Verlag Robert Gessler.  In it he describes a leaflet drop that took place on the evening of 24 September 1939 by a single "fighter" plane that circled the city.  This aircraft also dropped a few bombs with minor damage.  In searching for more detail, I have determined that this was likely the "Achtung! Deutsche! Bergefgt nicht!" leaflet 1939-151.  However, all sites - including your own - indicate that this leaflet was only dropped on a few cities in northern and central Germany, never as far south as Friedrichshafen.  I also assume, given that it was a single fighter, that the leaflets were dropped in bundles, rather than using a distribution device.  Really interested to know, and the expertise of the people on this site would be greatly appreciated.

Craig

Offline der Chef

• Administrator
  • Archive monkey
    • PsyWar.Org - Psychological Warfare and PSYOP
Re: Airdrop over Friedrichshafen, Germany, 24 Sep 1939
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2016, 01:51:05 AM »
Craig, very interesting and a mystery. Perhaps it was a French plane and a French leaflet? Although the first recorded French leaflet drops were a few days after this and again further north.

Leaflet dropping by the RAF over Germany was conducted by Bomber Command using multi-engined aircraft and also by the M Balloon Unit.

But there is no recorded leaflet drop specifically on Friedrichshafen by the RAF or French Air Force at this time.
Lee
der Chef
www.psywar.org

Offline bdelphan

Re: Airdrop over Friedrichshafen, Germany, 24 Sep 1939
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2016, 01:49:11 AM »
Thanks.  That is frustrating.  I also thought it might have been a French plane, possibly approaching the city along the Swiss border to Lake Constance.  As you say, there is no evidence of any drops thought.

According to Gessler, there is even mention of it in the local Verdo Seeblatt newspaper a few day later refuting alleged British claims that they destroyed a Zeppelin (LZ140, I think) in the hanger during the raid.  It's weird.  I'm obsessed about finding out.  There is so much information confirming the other attacks on the city, yet there is nothing to confirm this claim.

Anyway, that's for responding.  I'll continue my search.

Featured Articles

Main Topics

About Us

PsyWar.Org (tm), (c)1997-2017, Lee Richards

©1997-2017, Unless otherwise acknowledged, all articles, design, graphics, logos and other content, are the copyright of Lee Richards and cannot be reproduced without permission. Crown Copyright material reproduced under terms of the Open Government License.

www.psywar.org