Psychological Warfare and PSYOP

Leaflet Archive

Random PSYOP leaflet - Two kinds of vehicles and two different worlds!

Recent Forum Posts

'Wanted for Incitement to Murder' - the Churchill leaflet

3 November 2017 at 3:44 pm

Re: Burma Front Leaflets

23 September 2017 at 6:27 pm

Re: IFBU in Burma 1945

2 September 2017 at 6:59 am

Re: IFBU in Burma 1945

31 August 2017 at 5:13 pm

IFBU in Burma 1945

31 August 2017 at 11:37 am

22 August 2017 at 8:31 am

Re: Bin Laden Dead

14 August 2017 at 10:38 am

Re: Falkland's war

24 July 2017 at 9:08 pm

16 July 2017 at 4:12 pm

Re: a profit de sinistres normand

4 July 2017 at 8:47 am

Thomas Mann leaflet 'Dieser Krieg'

17 NOVEMBER 2017 | ARTICLES
Share on Facebook
Tweet
Google +1
Linkedin
Email

Author Topic: Thomas Mann leaflet 'Dieser Krieg'  (Read 2956 times)

Online der Chef

• Administrator
  • Archive monkey
    • PsyWar.Org - Psychological Warfare and PSYOP
Re: Thomas Mann leaflet 'Dieser Krieg'
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2016, 08:39:20 AM »
"TNA-magician" like that! :-)

Does seem to be enough information to make a good article. At the moment I have a rather large backlog of writing to get through so couldn't do anything for awhile. But feel free to work on it and just give me a credit in the footnotes or something.

Londoner Brief was an Electra House project but would not be surprised if Section D contributed to its distribution. Rickman's organisation was very much working through Section D.

I have never found in the British archives a list of propaganda material his organisation was receiving. But we know the type of material from the catalogue of Section D propaganda in my book The Black Art. This is based on an album of leaflets kept in the PWE archives. Apparently there was another album which I'm certain contained different leaflets rather than being a duplicate.

So the main question is who was responsible for the Dutch printing. Was it purely a commercial enterprise between TM and a Dutch publisher or was it facilitated by an intermediary like Section D? Did TM write the alternative introduction or someone else? Nailing down this Dutch version is going to be the hardest and most interesting part.
Lee
der Chef
www.psywar.org

Offline emmelle4444

« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2016, 11:00:34 AM »
Dear Lee

The Dutch printing (actually a German text printed in the Netherlands) was a purely commercial enterprise between Thomas Mann and his Stockholm publisher Gottfried Bermann Fischer. BF wanted to publish it in Stockholm, but he was afraid of acting against Swedish neutrality, so he managed to get it printed in the Netherlands under the imprint of Secker & Warburg. The publishing house BFV was part of a consortium of three publishers (Querido, BFV and Allert de Lange) all printing in the Netherlands, binding in Hungary, etc. where prices were lowest and/or printers most experienced in German typesetting. "Dieser Krieg" was printed in March/April by Thieme in Nijmegen and delivered by "Zentralauslieferung" Amsterdam. There are letters about this between TM and BF. The first copies were ready for sale before 19th of April 1940 (I have found archival material about this). A handful of copies were sent as presentation copies, but before sale began, the Wehrmacht entered the Netherlands on 10th of May 1940 and the Nazis destroyed the rest of the booklets en bloc. Actually I have direct access to one surviving copy and know about its provenience. The only thing I am unable to establish is how many copies were printed. The TM bibliographers Bürgin and Potempa postulate a number of 1000, but I am unable to verify this.

There are three introductions to the text: a) the Nijmegen-printed one (in German) (S&W for BF), b) the London one (S&W, English, but identical to the leaflet, even if the leaflet contains one sentence lacking in the English edition and underlined with red pencil in the typescript) c) The American one (Knopf) presenting a new introduction and several sentences lacking in S&W. Nearly all of these additional sentences are not, as one could think, corrections or later additions by TM, but fluid parts of the original manuscript. I don't understand the exact sense of these omissions/additions.

Thomas Mann wrote the new "introductions" (actually the beginning sentences of the text) himself, the last one, the Knopf one, on 16th of April 1940, as explicitly mentioned in his diaries. War evolved and TM had to be up to date. On the other hand there is no trace left in the manuscript or in the typescript of the first introduction as printed in the Netherlands. 

Concerning the propaganda activities of Rickman et al. , I have read a very interesting 140-page-file from Riksarkivet, Stockholm. It contains detailed police interviews with all those involved in the Rickman-propaganda, showing in extenso how the propaganda cell worked, moreover containing descriptions of several Rickman-leaflets as far as known to Swedish Säpo. Moreover Tommy Jonasson - whom you certainly know - was so kind to give me a copy of a chapter he wrote years ago on the Rickman propaganda and he added a photo of a propaganda leaflet he found in Riksarkivet, apparently printed by Ture Nerman for Rickman.             
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 11:29:25 AM by emmelle4444 »

Offline emmelle4444

« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2016, 02:32:11 AM »
Dear Lee

Do you have copies of FO 898/5 or shall I order a copy at TNA?
Thank you so much`!

Michael
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 02:34:50 AM by emmelle4444 »

Online der Chef

• Administrator
  • Archive monkey
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2016, 11:47:06 PM »
Michael, looks like a very good basis of an article here.
I will send you a copy of FO 898/5. Do you have a copy of the Swedish Rickman files?
Lee
der Chef
www.psywar.org

Offline emmelle4444

« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2016, 01:13:18 AM »
Dear Lee,

yes I have it, I even transcripted certain parts, so that they are ready for google translate
Send me a message in order to fix details for the transfer of the data.

Sincerely
Michael

Online der Chef

• Administrator
  • Archive monkey
FO 898/5
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2016, 03:33:13 AM »
Dear Lee,

yes I have it, I even transcripted certain parts, so that they are ready for google translate
Send me a message in order to fix details for the transfer of the data.

Sincerely
Michael

Hi Michael, have just emailed you details about the file. (If you haven't received it, check your spam folder as my email address has a habit of being automated flagged as spam by certain email spammer filters).

Lee
Lee
der Chef
www.psywar.org

Offline emmelle4444

« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2016, 11:17:45 AM »
Received! Sent you all I have on Rickman ...

Thank you once more...

Sincerely
Michael

Online der Chef

• Administrator
  • Archive monkey
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2016, 04:24:25 PM »
Many thanks Michael, really interesting file on Rickman by the looks of it.
Lee
der Chef
www.psywar.org

Featured Articles

Main Topics

About Us

PsyWar.Org (tm), (c)1997-2017, Lee Richards

©1997-2017, Unless otherwise acknowledged, all articles, design, graphics, logos and other content, are the copyright of Lee Richards and cannot be reproduced without permission. Crown Copyright material reproduced under terms of the Open Government License.

www.psywar.org